Culture shock is the physical and emotional discomfort one suffers when coming to live in another country or a place different from the place of origin.
Culture shock expresses the lack of direction, the feeling of not knowing what to do or how to do things in a new environment, and not knowing what is appropriate or inappropriate. The feeling of culture shock generally sets in after the first few weeks of coming to a new place.
Symptoms of Culture Shock
2. Sadness, loneliness, melancholy
3. Anger, resentment and irritability
5. Lack of confidence
6. Extreme homesickness
7. Sudden intense feeling of loyalty to own
8. Overeating or loss of appetite
9. Insomnia, desire to sleep too much or too
10. Headaches, upset stomach
11. Loss of identity
12. Trying too hard to absorb everything in the
new culture or country
13. Unable to solve simple problems Loss of
ability to work or study effectively
14. Feelings of inadequacy or insecurity
15. Developing stereotypes about the new culture
16. Feelings of being lost, overlooked, exploited
Stages of Culture shock
In this first stage, the new arrival may feel euphoric and be pleased by all of the new things are great and exciting.
There are so many differences in this country that new arrival doesn’t know how to deal with them. .
Negotiation: New arrival learns to deal with the problems set before him/her and tries to integrate them with his/her own beliefs.
New arrival is able to live well in the environment with the differences he/she is experiencing.
Some ways to reduce stress produced by culture shock are:
· Develop a hobby
· Keep Busy
· Make friends
· Be optimistic
· Remember, there are always resources that you
· Be patient,
· Learn to be constructive.
· Just relax
· Be social
· Maintain contact with your ethnic group.
· Maintain contact with the new culture.
Learn the language. .
· Recognize the sorrow of leaving your old
country. Accept the new country.
· Pay attention to your work
· Establish simple goals and evaluate your
· Find ways to live with the things that don't
satisfy you 100%.
· Maintain confidence in yourself. Follow your
ambitions and continue your plans for the