You're on the UK site
change country
You are not logged in. Click here to login
Student Login <
Landlord Login <
Letting Agent Login <
Find Housemates Student Guides Advertise Blogs   follow us  
AFS Pinterest AFS facebook AFS Twitter AFS LinkedIn

Adapting your Appliances to UK Power Supply

Overseas students who wish to bring their laptop computers should be aware of the following.

Laptop computers must be compatible with the United Kingdom electrical standard of 220-240 volts. Most laptops have dual voltage and can therefore be easily adapted for use in the United Kingdom. If not you may need to purchase a transformer to step up the voltage.

UK power sockets only accept three square-pin plugs, and have protected insulated shutters that automatically cover and uncover the three holes. The plugs also contain fuses, which should be of the correct size to protect the appliance to which it is attached.


The actual plug type is known as Type G'.

•  An adapter for a 3-pin (flat pin) plug is essential. Dealers sometimes refer to them as 13 amp plugs.

•  The power cord must be of suitable length. British Safety Standards require power cords to be between 1.8m (6ft) to 3.0m (9ft) in length.

This information is supplied by UK Work Study specialists in helping international students come to the UK.

Contact for more details on our UK Study Pack.
usa flag ireland flag australia flag canada flag france flag spain flag germany flag italy flag southafrica flag india flag russia flag japan flag china flag