You're on the UK site
change country
You are not logged in. Click here to login
Student Login <
Landlord Login <
Letting Agent Login <
Find Housemates Student Guides Advertise Blogs   follow us  
AFS Pinterest AFS facebook AFS Twitter AFS LinkedIn
National Insurance


Q: Who needs a National Insurance Number?

A: Everybody that is looking to work full or part time or work whilst studying in the UK is required to get a National Insurance number

Q: What is a National Insurance Number?

A: Your National Insurance number (NINo) is a unique personal number which is used to record your National Insurance (NI) contributions to the UK Social Security system. It is needed by employers to pay your taxes.

Q: Do I need a National Insurance Number to be able to get a job?

A: You do not need a National Insurance number to apply for a job. However, as soon as you do have your unique number you will be able pass it on to your

Q: Do I need to have a National Insurance Number when I start work?

A: You do not need to have a National Insurance Number before starting work, but you must obtain one and provide the details to your employer as soon as you receive your number.

Q: Who pays National Insurance?

A: Employees and employers both pay NI contributions, which help to fund contributory benefits. For example, the state pension and jobseeker's allowance.

Q: How long does it take to get a number?

A: Using UK Work Study services we are able to get the process started very quickly. We will arrange for all of the application forms to be sent to you and all your details to be registered so that you are already on the system cutting down your phone costs and making the process as easy as possible for you.

Q: Could I end up paying more tax without a National Insurance Number?

A: Not having a unique National Insurance number can be costly as you are put on an emergency tax rate, so it is best to get your number as soon as possible.

Q: What documents do I need to present in my application/interview

A: De pending on your circumstances you may be required to attend an interview. Otherwise, you may be merely required to complete a National Insurance Number application form that will be sent to you. This must be completed and returned with documentation as stated in the application.

When you attend the interview take as much documentation with you some items that you could be asked for are identification documents such as certified letters confirming your place of study and address; passport with visa and travel history documents (EG. Details on how and when you arrived in the UK - flight numbers). Also necessary would be proof of address and eligibility to work in the UK a full time student visa would validate this and provide evidence that you are actively seeking work EG evidence of job applications, agency correspondence, interviews etc.

Q: Can I work while I study in the UK?
A: If you have student immigration permission which will be endorsed on your visa, you can in most cases work during your study.

Council Tax

Q: Do I need to pay Council Tax?
A: You don't have to pay council tax as a full time student but you do have to fill in an exemption form to prove you are studying and which course you are taking to qualify for this. This can be obtained from your college or university.

Q: What would happen if I do not do this?
A: If you fail to do this, you will probably end up with a large fine, so it is important to make enquiries at your department office in the first week of term.

Some Guidelines for Students:
It is for the local Council, not the University, to decide whether a student is eligible for Council Tax exemption, although the University will be expected to confirm whether a student meets particular criteria.

Q: What are the criteria for not having to pay Council Tax as a student?

A: To qualify for exemption as a student, the legislation says that individuals must be undertaking a full-time course of education. In summary, this is:

•  a course which lasts for at least one academic or calendar year,

•  on which students are normally required to attend (whether at premises of the establishment or otherwise) for periods of at least 24 weeks in each academic or calendar year, and

•  the nature of which is such that a person undertaking it would normally require to undertake periods of study, tuition or work experience amounting to an average of at least 21 hours a week in each academic or calendar year.

Working in the UK as a Student

Q: What kind of work can I do during my studies?
If you have student immigration permission that allows you to take employment, you can work up to 20 hours (in some cases, up to 10 hours) a week during term time. You can work full time during vacation and internships.

Q: Can I work an average of 10 or 20 hours a week?

A: No. If you work more than 10 or 20 hours in any week in term time (and you are not doing a work placement for your course or an internship), you are in breach of your immigration conditions, even if you work fewer than 10 or 20 hours in other weeks

Q: Can I take a gap year and work full time?

A: No. If you want to defer your studies for a year, you should leave the UK and come back when your studies start again. You can work full time only in your holidays, or when you have finished your studies, or if you are doing a work placement or an internship

Please visit the following site for additional information:
usa flag ireland flag australia flag canada flag france flag spain flag germany flag italy flag southafrica flag india flag russia flag japan flag china flag