You're on the UK site
change country
You are not logged in. Click here to login
Student Login <
Landlord Login <
Letting Agent Login <
Find Housemates Student Guides Advertise Blogs   follow us  
AFS Pinterest AFS facebook AFS Twitter AFS LinkedIn
National Insurance Contributions and your National Insurance Number

If you work in the United Kingdom, either as a student or as a full-time worker during the vacation period (with your student visa, you may be entitled to work 20 hours per week during the term time and full time during vacation time), you must pay a National Insurance Contribution tax.

If you are an employee, a percentage of your salary (around 10.9%) is deducted by your employer as your National Insurance Contribution, and submitted directly to HM Revenue & Customs.

You will need to apply for a National Insurance Number and this will enable you to build up a history of tax contribution in the United Kingdom.

The UK Study Pack helps you to apply for a National Insurance number email us at or go to our website

For more information on National Insurance contributions, please visit: or

This information is supplied by UK Work Study specialists in helping international students come to the UK.

Contact for more details on our UK Study Pack.


usa flag ireland flag australia flag canada flag france flag spain flag germany flag italy flag southafrica flag india flag russia flag japan flag china flag